Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Faces of Turkey

I saw a great video posted on Facebook this morning from The Perennial Plate called "Faces of Turkey".  It really captures the essence of the Turkish people.  

When I watched it with my son he asked me "Are they happy with what they have?"  There is not really any strong indication in this video that these people might be poor or earn a low wage even though it does seem to focus on the working class of Turkey.

For me, the question was interesting because well, he is five, but also if I learned one thing from Turkey it is that life is beautiful and there is a lot to be happy about.  

The first year I lived there, inflation was around 70%, but yet life went on.  If such a thing were to happen in a develop country, I am sure the adjustment would be interesting.  Sure people were concerned about it, but that did not stop them from living.  Strangely, I have never seen Turkey on any happiest country in the world lists.

So my answer to him was "Yes". 

Even with the political controversy in Turkey right now, they are still some of the happiest, warmest people I have met.

Watch Faces of Turkey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was in Dubai for NYE, in Istanbul now, yes they are happy for sure.