Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Saga of Searching for a School in Dubai Part 2

Enter request for assessment at School Number 1.

This is a somewhat newer school in Dubai, based on the American system.  A nice school all the way around that is reasonably priced compared to others.  I also have two co-workers and a friend with children there who are very happy with it, so this is a good sign. 

Erin and I went one afternoon in early February at our appointment time.  Having no idea what to expect, I try very hard to market this experience to him as something fun.  Go see what kind of toys they have and just play with what they give you.  I assumed this would be as competitive as the other assessments that linger, regardless of if he passed or not, his comfort was most important to me.

Much to my surprise, it was just the two of us and a teacher.  All he had to do was draw a picture of himself, count a few crayons, say the colors of those crayons, recognize a few shapes and build a pretty easy puzzle.  I must note that in his self portrait, he drew "bumblebees in his belly".  

It was really hard for me to not laugh because this was the exact same test I had to do when I was tested for kindergarten years ago.  I remember it vividly.  The only difference was instead of drawing a picture of myself, I had to identify body parts on a picture.  All this technology and advancement and we are still looking for the same basic developmental things.  Wow!  Erin’s current pre-school teacher assured me yes, not much has changed, it’s just the methodology used. 

The next day I got a call saying he passed and was accepted.  Then I was instructed I had one week to make a deposit for his spot.  I realize this is a business, but we haven’t even been to the other schools yet.  However, in order to not loose the place we paid.

…Onto the next assessment..

No comments: